Fear the Boot

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:59 am

Login 
Username:   Password:   Log me on automatically each visit  

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Stealing cars in Shadowrun 
ZCE's Grandmother's Quantum Cat

Post Stealing cars in Shadowrun
Anybody have any suggestions for rules for stealing cars in 3E Shadowrun?

And I'm not looking to rehash whether runners should steal cars instead. Just trying to decide on some rules.

Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:11 am
Myopic Sycophant

Post Re: Stealing cars in Shadowrun
Well depending on how punitive your GM is, up to 100% of the cars have transponders and zap chips which allow the police to shut down a car remotely.

There's a couple ways to deal with that.
1) The owner doesn't even realize that it has been stolen, and thus doesn't report it.
2) The owner isn't willing to report it (i.e. you have a gun to his head)
3) The owner isn't capable of reporting it. This doesn't have to be the bullet to the head. You can isolate the vehicle from the grid so that the zap chips can't be fired. You can disable the transponders, etc.

For obvious reasons, security vehicles generally do not have zap chips installed. Military vehicles don't follow the same DOT rules and thus their transponders don't play with the civilian grid.

Another note is that diesels don't rely on an ignition system to fire. They MIGHT have electronic fuel injection, so they too may be susceptible to zap chips.

Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:49 am
Aarakocra

Keep it as simple as possible is my suggestion. I play 4e right now, but I played 3e for a long time. Don't bog the table down with too many rolls. Pick a test or two and set a threshold and run with it. Personally I went with an electronics test or an automotive repair test.

Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:12 am
Profile WWW
Myopic Sycophant

Put the onus of how to do it on the player. A troll might simply pick up the car and walk off with it. A decker might hack the gridlink and access it that way. A faceman might chat up the owner and swipe the keys (do they still use keys?)

Swiping a car should not be a casual one roll thing either. Cars are expensive, not as bad as some things, but still expensive. If the GM lets you just one roll swipe cars, you should give up shadowrunning and open a chop shop.

Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:03 am
Myopic Sycophant

Personally I'd keep it relatively simple as well. An Electronics roll to isolate it from the Grid, or some work by a decker to trick the onboard computer into thinking it's being run normally and to ignore remote shutoff commands.

It's worth noting that in urban areas, most people don't actually need the Drive skill to get around in their cars - the Grid takes care of that for them. However, cars do occasionally need to leave the city, so they can indeed function without the Grid and (I believe) Grid usage can be turned on and off pretty easily. A car being driven without the Grid would require Drive checks, and would require really good Drive checks to blend in with Grid-managed traffic.

Join the FTB Writers' Guild!

Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:33 am
Profile WWW
Aarakocra

Citizen Joe wrote:
Swiping a car should not be a casual one roll thing either. Cars are expensive, not as bad as some things, but still expensive. If the GM lets you just one roll swipe cars, you should give up shadowrunning and open a chop shop.

I get what you're saying, and if this becomes a major theme then yeah, fine dig into it deeper. But otherwise why bother? Why bog the game down? I mean if you like rolling dice, sure knock yourself out. And if doesn't slow the game down for everyone.

Generally speaking when someone moves on a car in my game we don't want to waste time slowing the game down with multiple rolls. but then my players aren't trying to open a chop shop either! :P

Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:27 pm
Profile WWW

Citizen Joe wrote:
Well depending on how punitive your GM is, up to 100% of the cars have transponders and zap chips which allow the police to shut down a car remotely.

There's a couple ways to deal with that.
1) The owner doesn't even realize that it has been stolen, and thus doesn't report it.
2) The owner isn't willing to report it (i.e. you have a gun to his head)
3) The owner isn't capable of reporting it. This doesn't have to be the bullet to the head. You can isolate the vehicle from the grid so that the zap chips can't be fired. You can disable the transponders, etc.

For obvious reasons, security vehicles generally do not have zap chips installed. Military vehicles don't follow the same DOT rules and thus their transponders don't play with the civilian grid.

Another note is that diesels don't rely on an ignition system to fire. They MIGHT have electronic fuel injection, so they too may be susceptible to zap chips.

I am the GM. :D

Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:58 pm

SeriousPaul wrote:
Keep it as simple as possible is my suggestion. I play 4e right now, but I played 3e for a long time. Don't bog the table down with too many rolls. Pick a test or two and set a threshold and run with it. Personally I went with an electronics test or an automotive repair test.

That's what I'm trying to decide. I'm basically looking for the equivalent test of popping the door lock and hot wiring the car.

Electronics + Car B/R sounds like a good combo.

Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:00 pm

Saragon wrote:
Personally I'd keep it relatively simple as well. An Electronics roll to isolate it from the Grid, or some work by a decker to trick the onboard computer into thinking it's being run normally and to ignore remote shutoff commands.

Hey, you! What are you doing in this thread? :P

Quote:
It's worth noting that in urban areas, most people don't actually need the Drive skill to get around in their cars - the Grid takes care of that for them.

It's not quite that simple. The grid is more like a really nice navigation system. It doesn't actually drive the car. That's done by the autopilot.

Quote:
However, cars do occasionally need to leave the city, so they can indeed function without the Grid and (I believe) Grid usage can be turned on and off pretty easily. A car being driven without the Grid would require Drive checks, and would require really good Drive checks to blend in with Grid-managed traffic.

It's just a matter of turning the autopilot on or off. And remember, not all vehicles are grid equipped. So it's not really a big deal to drive in grid-managed traffic. The other cars are using more than the grid to make their way.

Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:03 pm

SeriousPaul wrote:
Citizen Joe wrote:

I get what you're saying, and if this becomes a major theme then yeah, fine dig into it deeper. But otherwise why bother? Why bog the game down? I mean if you like rolling dice, sure knock yourself out. And if doesn't slow the game down for everyone.

Generally speaking when someone moves on a car in my game we don't want to waste time slowing the game down with multiple rolls. but then my players aren't trying to open a chop shop either! :P

+1

As I mentioned, I don't want to get into a wank about runners stealing cars instead of running. I just want to come up with a decent set of skill tests to facilitate the stealing of cars.

Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next